Network Problems and the OBi110

OBi110

Do you have an OBi110 (or OBi100) ATA and noticed intermittant local network problems? I experienced network problems off and on for almost a year where one of my switches and everything plugged into it would lock-up. I tried replacing the switch and cabling, but nothing seemed to help.

During one troubleshooting session, I found unplugging an old SPA3000 ATA seemed to help. While the SPA3000 may have been one of the causes for the lock-ups, it wasn’t the only problem, as pretty soon the network issues returned even with the SPA3000 removed.

Then I ran across this:

Obi 110 – Poisoning Network on a Regular basis

That sounded familiar. Basically, while the OBi110 is capable of running at 100 Mbps, by default it only runs at 10 Mbps. By following the instructions in that thread, I was able to set the OBi110 to run at 100 Mbps. Here’s the instructions for setting an OBi110 or OBi100 to 100 Mbps.

1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

This wasn’t the end of the problems, though it did help. Now instead of everything on the switch locking up, the OBi110 would lock-up by itself.

The next thing I found was this:

Obi110 – Crashes over night

It sounds like the OBi gets itself into some sort of corrupt state, and the remedy is to backup your configuration, do a factory reset, and restore your configuration (and re-input your passwords).

From the Obi Admin interface, look under System Management -> Device Update. There are options there to Backup Configuration, Reset Configuration, and Restore Configuration. After you do the factory reset and restore your configuration, you’ll need to follow the above instructions to set the port speed to 100 Mbps again, as that setting isn’t restored.

After the factory reset and with the port speed set to 100 Mbps, I haven’t experienced any more problems with the network locking up (so far, at least).

For what it’s worth, my OBi110 is plugged into a Trendnet 10/100 switch and an ASUS N16 router (running Tomato firmware).

As a side note, one thing I don’t like about the OBi is that it comes by default set up to allow Obihai to push firmware updates to your device whenever they like. Even though I had disabled the Auto Firmware Update and the Provisioning options, I still had a firmware update pushed to my OBi110 once.

It turns out that you also have to disable the Obitalk service to prevent them from pushing new firmware to your device. I prefer to control the firmware updates myself, instead of having things updating themselves unattended without my knowledge.

So I recently got an OBi100 for another phone (to replace the aging SPA3000), and among the first things I did when I set it up was update the firmware, do a factory reset, and set the port to 100 Mbps. With this adjustment to the device setup, the OBi100 has been running fine as well.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.